WordPress Blog Link Building 6: Hosting a Competition
Hosting a competition is a good way to engage with the industry and reap backlinks in the meantime.
The technique is all about running a competition where the aim is to get people to promote it and link to your website as well.
It is up to you to decide the creatives of the competition. A competition is successful if the content organizer is popular enough to create a buzz in the market; if the contest is creative enough to grab visitor attention and if the contest is planned months in advance and executed.
When planning a competition, you need to consider the motivation levels of the visitor to participate in it. For instance, being a well-known brand is a good motivation and so is the attraction of good prizes.
The volume of links depends entirely on the promotional strategies. If it is a blogging-based event, you can expect a lot of bloggers to write about pre-competition and post-competition as well.
Again, these links will be editorial in nature and therefore, more beneficial. You can control how people link to you. However, our recommendation is to allow the entrants to link however they want so that the links look natural.
Hosting a competition is not complicated. You can follow this procedure.
- Identify your target bloggers and select a good prize that will motivate them to enter the competition.
- Reach out to influential bloggers and get them interested in the competition.
- Define the entry conditions and create a landing page for the same. The page should include rules, prize and contact email.
- The conditions of entry could be covering the event on their blogs and linking back to the main website or the competition page.
- Reach out to the bloggers and announce it on social media channels.
- Collect all entries and pick a winner.
- Announce the winner on the landing page.
You can read these resources for more information.